Directions To The Upper French River
There are two choices when driving from Southern Ontario.
A. From Toronto, take Hwy. 400, and then 69, 64, and the Dokis Road and access via Dokis.
B. From Toronto, take Hwy. 400 to just north of Barrie, continue north on Hwy. 11, then west on 17 from North Bay to Sturgeon Falls.
See below for details.
A. Highway 69 Access to the Dokis Road
- Take Hwy. 400 North from Toronto
- North of Barrie, continue on 400 (towards Sudbury), not Hwy. 11 (Huntsville, North Bay)
- Hwy. 400 becomes Hwy. 69. (Construction is ongoing)
- Follow Hwy. 69 North
- Visit the French River Park Visitors Centre, just south of the French River Bridge.
- After the French River Bridge, follow 69 North for 11. 7 km
- Turn right onto Hwy. 64 North (to Alban, Noelville)
- Between Monetville and North Monetville turn right onto Dokis Reserve Road
- Follow the Dokis Road for about 30 minutes. It is a gravel road, so take it easy. Be alert for wildlife and logging trucks. Dokis First Nation begins where you cross the bridge over the Little French River. As you enter Dokis village, watch for signs for Riverview Cottages or Dokis Marina depending on where you are parking your vehicle.
- Or from Sudbury: Take Hwy. 69 South. Turn left onto Hwy. 64 North, about 17 km south of Hwy. 637.
B. Highway 11/17 Access Via Sturgeon Falls to Lake Nipissing
- Take Hwy. 400 North from Toronto.
- North of Barrie, follow Hwy. 11 (Huntsville, North Bay) not Hwy. 400 (Sudbury).
- At North Bay follow Hwy. 17 west (Sudbury).
- In Sturgeon Falls, turn left (south) on Nipissing Street.
- Follow Nipissing Street for 1.8 km.
- Turn right on Quesnel (pronounced Kay-nel’) Road.
- Follow Quesnel Road for 4.7 km to Starlite Marina, where many cottagers dock their boats.
- Watch for and stop in at Leisure Farms for great strawberries and bakery items!
- Before venturing onto Lake Nipissing, check Environment Canada for weather reports and possible wind warnings and other dangerous weather events. Maps and/or GPS are a must.